Monday, October 29, 2012


Change

Small change happening on daily basis doesn't make me feel much about changing. But after a period of time it becomes sensible and even striking to realize how much I’ve changed in Iceland with such a group of awesome people.

Infusing in a community is hard for me in many senses mainly because my Chinese background and mind set nurtured by that culture. With two years education in the US, I didn't adapt well in blending into American culture. Rather I found a floating identity with such study-aboard experience that re-shaping my value as a global citizen.  I practiced language and communicational skills to find a way to express myself in daily dialogue. However, it hasn’t been working well until here I come to Iceland. In the past, as an outsider and one of the minority back to my school, it was hard to share my thoughts with people out of the classroom because of different social and value system. I used to attribute that communication gap to culture differences that are difficult to overcome. Now I think it is not true.

Time and space have significant impact on people’s way of thinking. Living in a communal space with a group of American students to share ideas very often, my feeling has changed so much. I feel I am much more an insider even though culture barriers still exist. We are a community because people tend to accept the difference instead of escaping or ignoring it no matter how different they are. And importantly, such acceptance goes beyond culture. If I imagine everyone as a cultural entity with different background and habits, then CELL group will be like United Nation that facilitates global changes. 

To figure out that change of feeling between my experience in America and that in Iceland, I think Iceland certainly provides a distinctive environment for people to jump out of their previous lives and learn to be more open towards surrounding people. For me, Iceland is special because people live much more humbly and resiliently facing the harsh natural conditions. And people here incorporate that humbleness and resilience into a simple lifestyle, which offers them more time to communicate with each other and to feel respects by listening to each other. Influenced by this social atmosphere, I feel no pressure when I talk to people in whatever the language is. People are patient about me when I encountered problems in my articulation. And sometimes a conversation can develop in depth.

Therefore, I feel so grateful that I am here to learn and experience this magic place with such a wonderful group and a program. I like to slow my path down just to know more about life and people around me at present time.  And I want to bring this feeling with me no matter where I go in the future. As long as I am spending time to communicate with people, I believe words retain its power to be heard.

by Yuan Zhuang

Here is one of my good friends !    "G"


No comments:

Post a Comment