Monday, October 29, 2012

Learning Through Others


In most school situations, traditional learning happens within the walls of the classroom and ends once you step foot outside the doors of the room. Upon coming to Sólheimar, I never imagined that I would learn as much from the people around me as I would from the lectures and classes. It has been a privilege to spend the last two months with a group of people who have such a wide range of interests, which are apparent in daily conversation. I am constantly amazed and inspired by their intelligence and passions. If during a conversation we come across a topic that we don’t know all that much about, there’s always someone to fill in the blanks and inform the rest of the group. Often times, these confusing topics are explained better and in a more easily understood way because the person is so devoted and well versed in the subject. While many different interests and thoughts make up a well-rounded community, it also leads to conflicting opinions and ideas. Therefore, group discussions are never dull and always open my eyes to new ways of thinking or new perspectives about a situation. Being in the presence of so many different knowledge backgrounds has expanded my own mind and helped me learn in astonishing ways.
Before coming to Iceland, I was reading the syllabus and imagining what kinds of activities, readings, and discussions each course would entail, which was fairly difficult because I had no idea what to expect. One of our courses for the semester is titled Sustainability Through Community and focuses on various service learning projects. Taking this relatively vague description into account, I assumed that I would learn a few craftsman skills and take part in a few interesting projects within the village. However, the majority of our learning, so far, has manifested itself in neither of these things. While I have learned some exciting skills, such as candle and soap making, I have learned far more from Sólheimar’s residents than the talented workshop instructors.
The people of Sólheimar have taught me the true importance of loving one another, appreciating the little things, and making the most of what we have. Every morning, we begin each day by joining in the courtyard, holding hands with one another, and welcoming the coming of a new day. At first, I was taken aback by the style of these meetings, but as the days progressed, I started to more fully comprehend the importance and benefit of these meetings. Beginning the morning with such an outward expression of joy and love is possibly one the best ways to start your day. My complete understanding came when the residents of Sólheimar began greeting us in the same way that they always greeted each other, which was with open arms and beaming smiles. It was in this moment that I realized we were truly welcomed into their village and since then, every morning meeting has been a reminder that we are all a part of the same community.
After being in Iceland for two months and seeing the interworkings of Sólheimar, I am beginning to realize how much the community thrives from such a brief, fifteen-minute interaction once a day. The close and caring aspects of the community are visible in every decision and action of those within Sólheimar. Being a part of such a tight-knit community that succeeds primarily on the basis of compassion and goodwill, has taught me the importance of these attributes and characteristics within my daily life. Before coming to Iceland, I never imagined that my learning would extend beyond environmental topics and leadership techniques. However, living in this community has taught me to always keep an open mind, learn what you can through those around you, and make the most of every situation because as I learned from morning meetings and the residents of Sólheimar, every day is special.
"G" (from previous posts)
- Steph Krail


No comments:

Post a Comment