Monday, October 29, 2012

The Grand Atlantic


I have lived all my life near the Pacific Ocean. I spent many of my childhood days playing in the muddy banks of the Puget Sound and I would take any opportunity I could to make the long drive to the coastline. Some of my favorite days are spent on the beach climbing on the rocks and just sitting and staring at the waves.
I have always felt a strong connection to the ocean and this trip to Iceland is my first time in memory getting to see the mighty Atlantic. For some people this may not be a big deal but for me it is amazing to see another entire ocean. I feel an awesome sense of smallness but also comfort when looking at this cold, vast, seemingly endless ocean. I also feel a primal urge to explore when looking out at the waves. I find myself looking into every nook and cranny of the rocks and climbing on the huge lava cliffs to as high as I dare so I can get a better view of the waves. The coastline becomes a wonderland to me without me even realizing it. I better understand the Vikings and their never ending need to explore. The feeling the ocean gives you is like a calling.

As similar as the two oceans are, my familiar Pacific and my new friend the Atlantic, I can’t help but feel a distinct personality difference in them. It’s not that one is more powerful or vast than the other. It feels much deeper than that. It’s a feeling that I can’t put my finger on but I think it is one everyone who has a relationship with the Oceans feels.
For all of us here on this trip, I think I can say that each of us, on some different level, has had a great experience with the Ocean and the beaches. I think the most memorable, though, for many of us was the chance to see wild whales hunting right off the beach. The wild Orcas were breathtaking and magical to see. We all gathered on a cliff yelling in excitement and wonder at the sight of these huge beautiful creatures. We don’t really know what it was about the whales that seemed to bring us all together on such an unseen and very emotional level but I think we all felt it in those minutes of watching the whales.

                                                              “G”
~Jordin Muller 

No comments:

Post a Comment