Friday, November 16, 2012

Preparing for Departure


Today in our NWEI discussion Karin said something that struck me. Although I had been realizing it through out our entire trip, things sometimes hit you unexpectedly with the simplest phrase. She said “you are all changed people”. And without question, she’s right. We have lived together for three months, become friends, been vulnerable, laughed, shared stories, “passed the squeeze”, cried, placed each other in Hogwarts houses, had our fair share of cleaning conversations, cooked (the basic food groups being kale, quinoa and beans of course), sang, “killed” each other with socks’, fallen (Tara), farted a plenty (you know who you are) swam, trekked to the gym, played soccer, and lastly, laughed some more.

We have analyzed who we are, the lives we lead, the world we live in and our place in it. No matter what we do with our new knowledge, whether we continue our previous lives or transform entirely, we are all changed people. We have shared an incredible experience together that we will forever look back upon and smile. What we have done, the friendships we have made, the landscapes we have seen, and the discussions we have had are some of the most valuable memories of my life.

Personally, I have gained a somewhat ironic realization. In the midst of confusing discussions where the best option is unclear, I have found clarity. For example, what I previously thought was good, green, renewable energy (geothermal) is now possibly not so limitless, or wanting to have solar panels and a wind turbine at my house but needing a well paying job that goes through the traditional, expensive, competitive, education system to do so. When something’s have felt like lose-lose situations, and when some conversations have left me with more questions than answers, I have gained clarity. Clarity about who I am, and clarity about who I want to be. About not only my future career goals, but who I am in present time, the person I want to portray in present time, and the decisions I can make now.

 This environment, my teachers, the documentaries, the readings and most importantly our discussions and the people that create them, have forever changed me. When deep discussions get so deep that the conversation suddenly turns silent and all you can see are peoples minds twirling, realizing our world is in deep trouble, you know you are apart of something special and world changing.

We are all changed people. We are united by an experience only these 16 individuals have experienced. I am sad to leave, sad this moment can never be replicated, but happy it will forever be a part of me. Thank you Iceland, thank you Sólheimar, thank you Karin, thank you Hank and thank you CELL group 2012.







Margaret Hoyt

 

No comments:

Post a Comment